Mr. Darby – Quick Update

Got a ton done on the Darby, the worst of which was sanding the main deck.  Putting 2 layers of glass down before sanding helped a lot.  Hell, the more I do it, the more I learn what not to do.  Also fabricated a mixer thing for my drill.  Overkill on mixing the activator for the glass resin is kind of an oxymoron.  You can’t mix it enough.  At any rate, the main deck and hatch are ready for the next phase.

I got the battery deck made, and gained a keel compartment underneath it.  I still need to reinforce the false bottom to take the weight of the battery, but that’s no biggie.  Both hull fittings are in place, with the fire monitor system complete up to the pump outlet.  I’m still pondering how to affix the bilge pump to the hull bottom.  

Doesn’t sound like much, but it was a full weekend of boat building.  19 new pix in the build gallery.

2 Responses to “Mr. Darby – Quick Update”

  1. Maydog75 says:

    Dude looks outstanding. You have a lot of trust in the water proof abilities of J B Weld. I hope it works out.

  2. E-Dog says:

    Epoxy will seperate from fiberglass layup resin, JB doesn’t. Plus where there’s a hole in the hull, it gets an additional layer of glass. So, kind of, but not total trust.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.